National Underwear Day 2022
Guess what day it is? National Underwear Day! Let’s celebrate with the best way we know: a blog post on underwear…
When is National Underwear Day?
TODAY! National Underwear Day is celebrated on August 5th and has been every year since 2003.
What is National Underwear Day?
National Underwear Day began nearly 10 years ago, starting as a brand campaign to promote body positivity, focusing on how women and society perceive the female body.
This came at an interesting time… Think back to 2003. Ask yourself how you think ideas around body image have changed. Were you as body confident as you are now? Do you remember all the reality TV shows in the Noughties praising the super skinny and shaming anyone a pound over 6 stone?
Body confidence (especially for women) was not a common thing. Even if you did look and weigh what society told you to, you absolutely weren’t allowed to truly appreciate yourself!
So… National Underwear Day was a huge hit (probably because it finally gave many people the chance to actually feel happy about their appearance) and has been celebrated every year since.
The History of Underwear
Underwear is SO important and the way it has grown is SO interesting! Originally used to protect clothes from stains, the first underwear dates back to prehistoric times, when people wore loincloths. It changed slightly during the Middle Ages, when women wore a shift under dresses and men wore linen shorts (also known as ‘braies’). Women’s knickers didn’t properly appear until the 19th century, but the earliest use of underwear resembling them dates all the way back to 4400 B.C.
Over the years, a growing demand and popularity led to more fashionable variations of underwear being created. And now… We’re here. We wear underwear for support, protection and for fashion. What a journey!
With so many different types of bras that I’ve lost count, knickers that my great-great-grandmother definitely couldn’t have fathomed and a variety of other lingerie pieces, we’ve definitely come a long way.
So, let's embrace the positivity and feel amazing whilst doing so!
Is it Important to Wear Underwear?
Underwear is worn for a number of reasons:
- It protects your clothing from stains
- It protects skin from chafing and damage
- It's designed to support and provide comfort (this is more applicable to bras)
So underwear isn't just there for decorative purposes... But, if you're not into it, no one's going to judge you.
Should you Sleep with Underwear On?
Try to avoid sleeping with underwear on. Wearing tight-fitting garments to sleep in will lead to moisture build-up, which can then lead to infections and so forth. So whilst we love underwear, stick to just wearing it in the daytime!
How to Celebrate National Underwear Day
- Wear your all-time favourite set. It doesn’t have to be sexy, just what makes you feel good. Walk around the house, look in the mirror, do a little catwalk and embrace your body.
- Clear out your underwear drawer (there are multiple charities that accept old bras to either repurpose them or donate to those without). That pair of knickers that you haven’t worn for a good 5 years, why are you still holding on to them?! Make room for the new and have a change.
- Treat yourself to something new. If you’re like me and you have a slight shopping addiction, then you know that there is nothing better than spoiling yourself and buying some new underwear. Alternatively, if you categorically refuse to spend money on yourself, then now is the perfect time to change that! You DESERVE to wear something you love.
A Timeline of Underwear
We've put together a very brief history of our favourite underwear events... Have we missed your favourite? Let's hear all about it!
Psst. Did you know? We ship internationally! No matter where you are, we can provide you with your dream bra. Check out our shipping policy for everything you need to know about timings, prices and returns.
Back to Blog Homepage