Sports Bra Sizing
Sports bra sizing may seem like a difficult process, but in reality, the same applies to sports bras as it does regular bras, in that your size is generally the same in both (unless the brand states otherwise).
How to Measure For a Sports Bra
So, if you're wondering how to measure for a sports bra and haven't already measured your normal bra size, head straight over to the guide on How to Measure Your Bra Size here to find your sports bra sizing. Your sports bra sizing is usually the same as your normal bra size, so you only need to take your measurements once.
At BraForMe, our sports bras are sold by cup size instead of clothes size, so there's no need for sports bra sizing conversions and you can guarantee that you're going to get the most suitable fit for your breast size.
How Should a Sports Bra Fit?
Now you're sorted with your sports bra sizing measurements, we can move on to how should a sports bra fit. If you've read any of my sizing guides before, you'll know that your measurements are only halfway to finding the bra. Once you've found your size, you always need to measure up how the bra looks and feels against a fit check.
- A sports bra should fit snug, but not be too tight.
- It should be tighter than your normal bra, but not to the point of being uncomfortable.
- You should be able to do the finger test: if you can’t get two fingers in between the straps and the shoulders, then it doesn’t fit properly.
Sports Bra Fitting Tips
- If it wrinkles, it doesn’t fit. Wrinkles and extra room in the cup are good indicators that the cup is too large. Smooth fabric = the right sports bra!
- If you're overflowing from the cups, the sports bra is too small.
- Don't forget to adjust the straps. Try lifting your hands above your head: if the band rides up, it's probably too big, but make sure the straps and back closure are properly adjusted before trying a smaller band.
- Do a movement test. Jump around, go crazy and imagine that you're doing the most intense workout of your life. How does the sports bra feel? If it's painful, uncomfortable or is riding up and full of gaps, it's time to try another size.
Why Should You Wear a Sports Bra?
So, hopefully, by this point, you've got a good idea of your sports bra sizing. You're going to try a sports bra in your regular bra size and you're going to measure the fit against the tips above. Cool. But why should you wear a sports bra?
Well, wearing a sports bra during exercise is SO important for several reasons. Firstly, breasts are made of delicate tissue which is only protected by the skin and fine ligaments (there are no muscles in the chest), so they need the added aid during exercise.
All breasts move during activity, so not having proper protection will cause the ligaments to stretch and the boobs to sag. Sports bras are also really comfortable and a good one will keep you completely supported and protected during your workout. So, knowing everything there is to know about sports bra sizing is super important because it means that you're going to get the best possible support from your sports bra, keeping your breasts completely protected during exercise.
Now, that's sports bra sizing essentially complete. Let's go onto all the little extras you need to know about...
How Long Does a Sports Bra Last?
A sports bra should last through 30-40 washes and should be replaced every 6-12 months. Keep in mind that the fabric will lose strength with each wash, so make sure you're caring for and washing it properly.
How to Wash Sports Bras
Washing sports bras, like sports bra sizing, isn't that dissimilar from caring for your normal bras. Here are my top tips on how to wash sports bras:
- Wash your sports bra after each wear (hygiene is key here)
- Wash your sports bra in cold water with a gentle detergent (hand-washing is recommended)
- Don't use fabric softener/bleach
- NEVER tumble-dry your sports bra
- Don't hang to dry by the straps as this risks stretching
- Always read the label for each specific sports bra, as different brands will recommend different ways of washing
You can find our full guide on How to Wash Underwear here, which will tell you everything you need to know about hand-washing bras, which applies to sports bras too.
There's a lot to get to grips with and it might seem a bit overwhelming, which is why we've got a complete set of bra fitting guides to follow to help get the perfect fit. You can follow each guide to take you through the individual fitting steps, or you can head straight to whichever one you need now.
And that's everything you need to know about sports bra sizing... Any questions or want to chat? Contact us here.